Monday, November 22, 2004

To Kill a Mockingbird

You ask a book lover to name one book and chances are he will not be able to do it. But I am doing it - So I am probably not a book lover. It is my all time favourite book. Just the other day, I was watching Gregory Peck playing his Oscar winning role as Atticus Finch, a lawyer who takes up the case of a black man charged of raping a white in 1930's America. And there is a place in the book/movie when he is asked why he took the case and he replies - "Else i wouldn't have been able to hold my head up". That is Dignity i guess - a virtue that he embodies. Not me - not yet atleast.

What happened is this: I was put in a situation where I had the oppurtunity of pocketing some dollars by getting some fake bills. This collegue of mine was going to produce them and he offered me some of the dough - And I was like - yeah! there is my ski boot - there is my digicam - there is my Vegas trip. And comfortable travel in a car to and from office in this cold weather to... yes - boot.

And before i knew it, Greed had me by the guts - Yup, the stomach area is the seat of greed. Also of jealousy. On the flip side, it also is the seat of joy and generosity. Ancient Indian Knowledge - don't you have any doubts about it.

So, since the mind was fantasizing over the fun I would have with the Things That Me Go Ummm..., it had conviniently ignored a catch. Something that would have made me slavish to somebody i didn't have to. Well, that it a hyperbole perhaps - 'bound' is about right.

But i was not seeing all this. Not yet. What woke me up to this was again money - i would have had to pay now and get more back later. And luckily - I managed to tell that person to 'Go your own way'.

Of course I am not even close to Atticus Finch and all that he embodies but i am beginning to see why they call these things 'values'.










No comments: