Monday, November 28, 2005

nashaa hai tu, ay husn-e-aala
peene ko aatur hai ye matwala
par haath mein nahin mere pyaala
isliye pehlaa jaaonga madhushaala

(you are intoxication personified, ye beautiful one
and I am eager to drink till I drop
but alas, I don't have a glass
coz I left it at the wine shop)

The great original which I have imitated is by Harivansh Rai 'Bachchan'

and here you can find a translation of a few verses - the ones by Ramana are far better

let me end by a short praise of the author of this blog:

waah, ravi waah - bahut aala!
kyaa tune khaaya bharela karela?

(Oh Sun -you are great - so great you are past the stratosphere!)

piyo sar jhuka ke!

1 comment:

bikban29 said...

Cheating! thetranslation of your couplets does not match the original!

karela == stratosphere?